Monday, February 15, 2010

San Valentino...

So I guess this is going to be a once a week thing seeing as we lost our Dlink(internet) in our apartment..so we officially have no tv, internet, heat, air conditioning... def. roughing it right? Anway so since i last updated much has happened. In the past week we had two back to back tours of Siracusa, then Ortigia. The Siracusa tour took us to the ancient city in which we saw the greek teatro, where they performed three tragedies and one comedy in a day for the ancient greeks. Next was the roman ampitheatre, just think gladiator and i think you have this oen pretty much summed up. We got to see the ear of Dionysis(spelled wrong i know) in which a giant prison resembling a cave was carved into a rock where the siracusan tyrant would keep his prisoners in a truly darwinian fashion. The tour went on all day and i hope to have pictures up in the next couple days. On saturday, after a wonderful potluck hosted by the lovely glee and madison, two of my favs :), and as you can imagine endless bottles of wine, we woke up and walked aroudn our home at 9 in the morning. However i cant complain abotu this tour because it provided us with a background of the city I hadnt yet been exposed to, including the famous castle of the edge of the city overlooking the water. Its a beautiful classical structure looking more like a banquet hall than a castle. the most impressive part, the toilet built in, yes, a toilet from the middle ages, they were def. forward thinkers. But by far the best part of the tour, my new SICILIAN COOKBOOK! when we were on tours this weekend I spent most of my time above the stove and loved every second of it. Makingg new delectable treats such as taboule, stuffed artichokes, caponata, risotto, and much more to come. I STILL havent gotten into the fish market but it is soon to come i promise. For the most part there has been lots and lost of giudecca loving happening. I was very intimidated by living with six other girls but we are all so close and there is never a moment when we arent laughing and having a great time! For Valentines day we walked around takign pictures around the island and then got dressed up and went to a chocolate fondue rest. It was wonderful and truly romantic. I loved it and there was lots of laughing and i wouldnt have had it any other way, I hope to update sometime sooner next time with more infro! Miss you all so so so much. And i have ot admit i talk about siena all the time. Especially being on this little isalnd i cant help btu think of the aoelian islands and our amazing spring break. One of the reasons i came on this program is because the people i meant last time changed my life and i love them so so so much. I could not resist the opporutnity to make bonds like that again. To all you guys who are reading this, i love you all and talk abotu you all the time. You changed my life and i miss tuscany dearly. Baci!

1 comment:

  1. all this talk of your and your Sicilian cooking is making me miss that amazing dinner you made for us in Lipari. Also you KNOW I'm jealous of the chocolate fondue restauraunt, that sounds to die for!
    I am in two classics classes right now, we are talking lots about the greek performances and the gods so its really cool for me to hear about you encountering the real life remnants of these things.

    But without a doubt, my very favorite part of this post is the end. :) Ti voglio bene sempre!

    ReplyDelete